Monday, June 11, 2007

More Bush follies

Maybe this is just piling on a President I dislike. But this kind of seat-of-your-pants policy-making is one of the many maddening and frightening things about the current President. It's funny to laugh at mis-statements people in power make, but the fact of the matter is that everyone has a slip of the tongue now and then that makes them look foolish. This example isn't that. The current President is making a specific promise to a group of people, then less than 24 hours later is surprised that he's even said it. This shows, I think, that the current President either has no idea what he is talking about (and therefore wouldn't remember what he is parroting back to people), or is so comfortable lying to people that he doesn't even remember doing it.

Again, I'm pretty biased when it comes to the guy, so maybe I'm not being fair. Read it for yourselves and decide. From an article from the International Herald Tribune by Sheryl Gay Stolberg (http://iht.com/articles/2007/06/10/frontpage/prexy.php)

------

The future of Kosovo, a largely Albanian breakaway province of Serbia, is of paramount interest here. Some Kosovars traveled to Tirana to join the crowd awaiting Bush. The United Nations Security Council is considering a plan for independence, but Russia objects the proposal.

On Saturday in Rome, the president agreed there should be a deadline to end the UN talks, saying "In terms of a deadline, there needs to be one - it needs to happen." But Sunday, less than 24 hours later, Bush tried to backtrack when asked when that deadline might be.

"First of all, I don't think I called for a deadline," Bush said at an appearance with Prime Minister Sali Berisha in the courtyard of a government ministry building. He was reminded that he had.

"I did?" he asked, sounding surprised. "What exactly did I say? I said 'deadline?' O.K., yes, then I meant what I said. The question is whether or not there is going to be endless dialogue on a subject that we have made up our mind about. We believe Kosovo ought to be independent."

No comments: